Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Can Sarah Koenig Read Me a Bedtime Story?


A few posts back I talked about my symptoms of stress. Eventually, I will give you an update on each symptom. Surely you're on the edge of your seat wondering about my bald spot. I will share that as of now, my sleeping habits have not improved to the degree that I had hoped that they would. Falling asleep seems to go o.k. but staying asleep is challenging. Most nights I wake up a few times. It may only be for a few minutes, or it may be for hours! I chalk it up to the big upcoming move across the world. The only thing that seems to help me get back to sleep is Sarah Koenig's voice. She soothes me. Her voice is a drug that I am addicted to. I am keeping my Ipod under my pillow at this point so that Sarah is close by in case I need her. 

I don't listen to NPR. I didn't know about Sarah until I started listening to the podcast Serial. Putting aside my sleeping challenges for a second, I am going to implore you to listen to Serial if you haven't already. I know what you are thinking, "podcast? that sounds horrible! What are you going to suggest next? That I listen to old Gunsmoke radio broadcasts while eating cornmeal mush and sitting by a coal furnace wrapped in a shawl?" I had the same reaction initially - not interested. Then Mr. Deep listened and gave it thumbs up and when I finally listened the story was fascinating. At this point, I'm over the story because I could practically recite it. I'm no longer focused on the content. I'm focused on the smooth sounds of Sarah.

Hopefully this is just temporary. I will let you know. In the meantime, take a listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Hello and thank you for taking an interest in my blog. This blog tells the story of some big life changes. First, my husband and I have just moved to Geneva, Switzerland for a few months following a few years of living in Johannesburg, South Africa. The two places could not be more different. I'm excited to share our adventures, challenges and insights with you! My thoughts and opinions are my own.